The Melbourne Teaching Certificate (MTC) is a professional development program for University of Melbourne staff with teaching-related responsibilities. It is a cohort-based program completed across one semester. In Semester 2, 2021, the program will be offered in two distinct streams: an on-campus stream and an online stream. The program comprises attendance in the theory forums and completion of the three assessment tasks. The assessment tasks for the program include two individual written assignments and a group presentation.
This program is for academic teaching staff at the University of Melbourne. Participants must demonstrate that they have some previous teaching experience and teaching responsibilities at the University of Melbourne in the semester in which they undertake the MTC program. Those new to university teaching are advised to consider the Certificate in Small-Group Teaching instead.
Intended learning outcomes
Through completion of the MTC, participants will
- gain insight into the particular teaching environment of the University of Melbourne and of the Australian higher education context;
- explore scholarly literature around key topics in higher education teaching and learning;
- collaborate with colleagues from diverse academic and teaching backgrounds;
- demonstrate a critical understanding of the principles of effective teaching, learning, and assessment in higher education;
- demonstrate critical self-reflection that relates one’s own teaching practice to theory and research;
- discuss contemporary issues and challenges facing students in higher education and the implications for educators; and
- connect theory, scholarship, and practical understanding to propose practical solutions for teachers across the university.
The MTC is a semester-long program. It is offered in both Semester 1 and Semester 2. The program must be started and completed in the same semester. In Semester 2, participants may enrol in EITHER the on-campus or online stream. The structure for each stream will differ slightly and it will not be possible to switch between the two streams.
Stream 1 of the MTC will meet on campus and will run 15 July-21 November. This stream comprises the following live sessions at which attendance is required:
First Forum Thursday 15 July, 9.00am-12.00pm Room G17, Elisabeth Murdoch Building Second Forum Friday 16 July, 9.00am-12.00pm Room G17, Elisabeth Murdoch Building Final Forum Friday 5 November, 9.00am-12.00pm Room G17, Elisabeth Murdoch Building
Stream 2 of the MTC will be wholly online and will run 30 July-21 November. This stream comprises both synchronous and asynchronous online components. Attendance is required at the synchronous sessions listed below:
First Forum Friday 30 July, 9.30-11.30am Online via Zoom Theory module Complete asynchronously by 5 August On Canvas Second Forum Friday 6 August, 9.30-11.30am Online via Zoom Final Forum Wednesday 3 November, 9.30-11.30am Online via Zoom
Expressions of interest have now closed. The call for Expressions of Interest for the Semester 1 2022 intake will open in November.