The Melbourne Academy is a Melbourne CSHE initiative for Early Career Academics (ECAs). It provides a dedicated program of professional development which includes knowledge and skills that are important for developing academic careers. The Melbourne Academy program will be offered ONCE in 2019.
Applications are invited from ECAs who:
- are employed at the University of Melbourne;
- have less than five years' full-time equivalent post PhD academic experience at university level; and
- are currently in a continuing or fixed term position.
The Melbourne Academy program is designed to offer opportunities for ECAs to:
- build their knowledge and skills related to the three primary areas of the University: research, teaching and learning, and engagement;
- develop their understanding and appreciation of critical skills required in complex academic institutions; and
- provide opportunities to establish peer networks across the University
The Melbourne Academy consists of five, half-day sessions (9.30am -1.00pm) that will be delivered over a four-month period. There will be one intake in 2019 with a maximum of 30 participants. Applicants must be able to commit to attend all sessions.
Participants will receive a certificate of participation and become a Fellow of the Melbourne Academy.
***REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED***
Program for 2019
Tuesday 2 April
Teaching and learning Academic Performance Framework and Academic Career
Benchmarks and Indicators
Designing and evaluating teaching for student learning
Leading a team
Tuesday 7 May
Research and grants How to identify funding opportunities
Strategies for writing successful grant proposals
Planning your research pipeline
Effective project management
Tuesday 11 June
Engaged research / engaged teaching What does engaged teaching and learning look like?
What does engaged research look like?
Managing conflict resolution: Approaches and strategies
Tuesday 25 June
Communicating for different audiences Communicating your research to the media
Using social media to develop your research profile
Building collaborative relationships and networks
Time management strategies
Tuesday 16 July
Bring it all together Where to from here? Developing three-year action plans
Conversation hour: Questions to invited members of University Executive
Program Officer: Cathleen Benevento
Phone: +61 3 8344 4534