Congratulations to all award winners whose contributions in the key areas of engagement, professional excellence, research and strategic priorities and teaching have been recognised in 2021.
On Thursday 24 March the 2021 University of Melbourne Excellence Award winners were celebrated at a special ceremony held in the Old Quadrangle on the University’s Parkville Campus.
21 individual and team recipients from across the University were recognised for their achievements in the key areas of engagement, professional excellence, research, strategic priorities and teaching. The award Citations can be read here.
Due to the pandemic, the event could not proceed in 2021 and for many award recipients, this was a wonderful opportunity to reconnect in person with their colleagues. We warmly congratulate all 2021 University of Melbourne Excellence Awards winners.
Engagement Excellence Awards
- Associate Professor Larissa McLean Davies | Melbourne Graduate School of Education
- Indigenous Eye Health Unit – Professor Hugh Taylor, Associate Professor Mitchell Anjou, Walter Bathern, Jordan Bryan, Rachael Ferguson, Dr Guy Gillor, Fiona Lange, Lesley Martin, Dr Tessa Saunders, Nick Schubert, Emma Stanford, Shaun Tatipata, Nick Wilson, Carol Wynne | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- University of Melbourne Epidemiologic Modelling Team – Professor Jodie McVernon, Professor James McCaw, Associate Professor Nic Geard, Dr Rob Moss, Dr Freya Shearer, Dr David Price, Dr Patricia Campbell, Dr Eamon Conway, Dr Christopher Baker, Dr Cameron Zachreson, Dr James Walker, Nefel Tellioglu, Associate Professor Nick Golding, Dr Rebecca Chisholm | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research.
Professional Excellence Awards
- APR.Intern Team – Glen Sheldon, Alexandria Mullany, Darla Trejo, Dr David Beecham, Jo Piltz, Justin Mabbutt, Lisa Farrar, Margo Brown, Mark Ovens, Michael Valentine, Zak Blayney | Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute, Faculty of Science
- Microbiological Diagnostic Unit (MDU) Genomics Team – Team Leaders: Professor Benjamin Howden, Dr Norelle Sherry, Associate Professor Torsten Seemann, Dr Susan Ballard, Courtney Lane, Tuyet Hoang, Dr Patiyan Andersson, Dr Michelle Sait, Mathilda Wilmot, Dr Kristy Horan. Team Members: Sandra Johnson, Dr Anne Watt, Dianne Beck, Christina Crachi, Nicole Orlando, Jessica Barnden, Samantha Tawil, Karolina Mercoulia, Wendy Larrad, Joshua Peng, Raquel Bisogno, Angela Todd, Jafar Jabbari, Steven Edwards, Phoebe Webster, Hasini Walpola, Mark Enriquez, May Chai, Miriam Dias Santilhano, Catherine Flower, Madeline Russell, Nicole Isles, Olivia Lay, Rory Macallister, Sigrid Lange, Sara Zufan, Yen Tran, Mark Bek, Simon Gleeson | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Sarah Marcola | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Steven Damen | Faculty of Science
- Maria Lodola-Price, Christopher Lambert | Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
- The staff of Student and Scholarly Services – led by the COVID-19 Student Response Group | Student and Scholarly Services
Research Excellence Awards
- Professor Richard Sandberg | Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
- Professor Meredith Temple-Smith | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Strategic Priority Awards
- Professor Jan de Gier | Faculty of Science
- Dr Kelley Graydon, Christopher James Waterworth | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- The Victorian Indigenous Engineering Winter School (VIEWS) Team – Hope Perkins, Professor Elaine Wong, Associate Professor Juliana Kaya Prpic, Michelle Bellino, Ross Peek | Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
- Mariam Hachem | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Professor Natalie King | Faculty of Fine Arts and Music
Teaching Excellence Awards
- Master of Narrative Therapy and Community Work Team – Aunty Barbara Wingard, David Denborough, Tileah Drahm-Butler, David Rose, Cheryl White, Ian Maund, Cat Smith and Manja Visschedijk. Current Indigenous participants in Master of Narrative Therapy and Community Work: Danita Martin, Debra Bowman, Janneen Wanganeen, Joseph Oui, Katie Christensen, Patricia Kemp, Tjunkaya Ken, Kylie Ellis, Noel Rasleigh, Louisa Bonner, Shannon Turner, Leanne Levinge, Kimberley Harrison | Department of Social Work, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences & Dulwich Centre
- Associate Professor Paula O’Brien | Melbourne Law School
- Dr Clare Anstead | Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences
- Associate Professor Mei Dong | Faculty of Business and Economics
- BioDesign Innovation Program Team – Professor David Grayden, Associate Professor Kwanghui Lim, Associate Professor Simon Wilkins | Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, Melbourne Business School