The Melbourne Teaching Certificate for Graduate Researchers (MTC-GR) is a professional development program for University of Melbourne graduate researchers with teaching-related responsibilities. It is a cohort-based program completed across one semester comprising three face-to-face seminars, two written assignments and a presentation.
For whom: This program is suitable for graduate researchers of the University of Melbourne with some teaching experience and who have already completed the Foundations of Teaching & Learning seminar series (formerly, Teaching Skills for Graduate Researchers). The program is also suitable for sessional tutors and demonstrators who are not graduate researchers.
Academic staff: Please refer to Melbourne Teaching Certificate (MTC) program page.
Availability required: Two half-day intensives, one optional consultation session, and one half-day final forum delivered in each semester. Attendance is required for the two intensives and the final forum (see dates below for the upcoming semester).
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of the MTC-GR, participants should:
- Demonstrate theoretical and practical ideas and strategies for enhancing learning and teaching;
- Collaborate with colleagues from diverse academic and teaching backgrounds;
- Critically discuss challenges experienced in their particular teaching contexts;
- Acquire an appreciation of the scholarly underpinnings of learning and teaching practice in higher education;
- Gain insights into the particular teaching environment of the University of Melbourne.
FEE AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Participants must demonstrate that they have:
- Teaching responsibilities at the University of Melbourne in the semester in which they undertake the program; and
- Completed all three Foundations of Teaching & Learning seminars.
There are no fees and no direct charges to departments, schools or faculties as this program is provided by the University of Melbourne as a service to its staff and students.
PROGRAM SCHEDULE AND REGISTRATION
The program is offered in semesters 1 and 2. The program must be started and completed in the same semester, and participants must be teaching in the same semester as the course is taken. Participants must attend on all dates in order to complete the MTC-GR.
Registration for Semester 2 is now CLOSED.
DATES OF ATTENDANCE – Semester 2, 2019
First Intensive Forum
Friday 5 July, 9:30-12:30
|Room 330, Alice Hoy|
Second Intensive Forum
Friday 5 July, 1:00-4:30
|Room 330, Alice Hoy|
Friday 1 November, 9:30-1:00
|Room 256, Arts West North Wing|