Foundations of Teaching and Learning for Graduate Researchers (FTLGR) is specifically designed for currently enrolled graduate researchers at the University of Melbourne who are new to teaching. This program consists of three workshops that introduce the fundamentals of effective teaching for learning in higher education settings. Upon successful completion of the three workshops, participants receive a certificate, after which they may also like to consider taking the Advanced Skills for Sessional Teachers program.
The three workshops are:
- Foundations of good teaching in higher education
- Strategies for facilitating active learning
- FAQs: Managing common challenges in the classroom.
Each workshop is two hours in duration and available in Semesters 1 and 2. Participants can choose to attend one or more workshops but only those who complete all three will receive a certificate of completion.
If you are a University of Melbourne staff member looking for formal training in university teaching, please refer to the Melbourne Teaching Certificate or Graduate Certificate in University Teaching instead.
On completing the FTLGR program, participants can expect to:
- Be able to discuss principles of effective university teaching
- Gain practical ideas and strategies to facilitate student learning
- Understand how to present material in a clear, organised and engaging way
- Have had opportunities to discuss challenges experienced in a variety of teaching contexts
- Make valuable contacts with peers from diverse academic backgrounds
- Gain insights into the particular teaching environment of the University of Melbourne.
Please note: Participants can choose to attend one or more of the workshops, but only those who have attended all workshops will be provided with a Certificate of Completion.
Participants do not need to attend consecutive workshops (for example, you can choose to attend the first and second workshops in May and third workshop in July).
How to register
Please register by clicking or tapping on the above workshop(s) that you'd like to attend. You will need to register for each workshop separately.
Fees and entry requirements
There are no fees for this program, and no direct charges to departments, schools or faculties. The program is provided by the University of Melbourne as a service for graduate researchers.