Registrations will most likely open at the end of Semester 1. Please check back in June for updates.
Foundations of Teaching and Learning for Graduate Researchers (FTLGR) is a series of workshops specifically designed for currently enrolled graduate researchers at the University of Melbourne who are new to teaching. This program consists of three workshops that introduce the fundamentals of effective teaching for learning in higher education settings. Upon successful completion of the three workshops, participants receive a certificate.
The three workshops are:
- Foundations of good teaching in higher education
- Strategies for facilitating active learning
- FAQs: Managing common challenges in the classroom.
Each workshop is two and a half hours in duration. Participants can choose to attend one or more workshops, but only those who complete all three will receive a Certificate of Completion. You do not need to complete all three workshops in the same semester, but we do recommend completing them in consecutive order.
Currently enrolled graduate researchers at the University of Melbourne who are new to teaching.
Intended learning outcomes
On completing the FTLGR program, participants can expect to:
- Be able to discuss principles of effective university teaching
- Gain practical ideas and strategies to facilitate student learning
- Understand how to present material in a clear, organised and engaging way
- Have had opportunities to discuss challenges experienced in a variety of teaching contexts
- Make valuable contacts with peers from diverse academic backgrounds
- Gain insights into the particular teaching environment of the University of Melbourne.
Please note: Participants can choose to attend one or more of the workshops, but only those who have attended all three workshops will be provided with a Certificate of Completion.
Participants do not need to attend all three workshops in the same semester. For example, you could choose to attend the first two workshops in Semester 1 and the third workshop in Semester 2, in which case you would still receive a Certificate of Completion. However, we strongly recommend that you complete the three workshops in consecutive order.
The workshops will be held on the following dates in 2020:
Semester 2, 2020
1. Foundations of good teaching in higher education
Tuesday 6 October, 9:30-12:00
2. Strategies for facilitating active learning
Wednesday 7 October, 9:30-12:00
3. FAQs: Managing common challenges in the classroom
Thursday 8 October, 9:30-12:00
Please register by clicking or tapping on the ‘register’ button next to the workshop date(s) that you'd like to attend. You will need to register for each of the three workshops separately.
Please note: Registration for Semester 2, 2020 will likely open at the end of Semester 1, once we know more about what the circumstances for virtual and/or in-person delivery will be. Please check back in June.
Fees and charges
There are no fees for this program, and no direct charges to departments, schools or faculties. The program is provided by the University of Melbourne as a service for graduate researchers.