Teaching Skills for Graduate Researchers (TSGR) is specifically designed for currently enrolled graduate researchers at the University of Melbourne who are new to teaching. This program consists of three workshops that introduce the fundamentals of effective teaching for learning in higher education settings. Upon successful completion of the workshops, TSGR participants receive a certificate. They may also like to consider taking the Advanced Skills for Sessional Teachers program.
The three workshops are:
- Foundations of Good Teaching in Higher Education
- Strategies for Facilitating Active Learning
- FAQs: Managing Common Challenges in the Classroom.
Note: You need to complete all the 3 workshops in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Each workshop is two hours in duration and available in semesters one and two.
If you are a University of Melbourne staff member looking for formal training in university teaching, please refer to the Melbourne Teaching Certificate or Graduate Certificate in University Teaching instead.
On completing the TSGR participants can expect to:
- Be able to discuss principles of effective university teaching
- Gain practical ideas and strategies to facilitate student learning
- Understand how to present material in a clear, organised and engaging way
- Have had opportunities to discuss challenges experienced in a variety of teaching contexts
- Make valuable contacts with peers from diverse academic backgrounds
- Gain insights into the particular teaching environment of the University of Melbourne.
Program schedule and registrations
Please note: It is compulsory to register and attend all the 3 workshops in order to receive a Certificate of Completion.
Semester 2 2018
|Foundations of Good Teaching in Higher Education||19/07/2018||10:00am - 12:00pm||Alice Hoy Building -Room 330 Map||Register|
|Strategies for Facilitating Active Learning||26/07/2018||10:00am - 12:00pm||Baillieu Ground Floor -Dulcie Hollyock Room (40) Map||Register|
|FAQs: Managing Common Challenges in the Classroom||02/08/2018||10:00am - 12:00pm||Baillieu Ground Floor -Dulcie Hollyock Room (40) Map|
Fees and entry requirements
There are no fees for this program, and no direct charges to departments, schools or faculties. The TSGR is provided by the University of Melbourne as a service for graduate researchers.