The 3MT® is a professional and highly engaging international competition. It challenges PhD candidates to present their research in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience in the space of three minutes. The competition is based on the premise that the capacity to present a clear, concise and engaging description of their research is an essential skill that all graduate researchers should develop. It also brings our graduate research community together in a spirited and research-focused activity, inspiring them to share their findings with the wider community.
Who can participate
Active PhD and Professional Doctorate (Research) candidates of the University of Melbourne who have successfully passed their confirmation milestone (including candidates whose thesis is under submission) by the date of their first presentation are eligible to participate in 3MT® competitions at all levels, including the Asia-Pacific 3MT competition. Graduates are not eligible.
Benefits for participants
- Learn to communicate your research well.
- Build confidence and improve your public speaking skills.
- Demystify your research in the eyes of the University community and the general public.
- Network and make friends with other graduate researchers.
- Begin building your public profile.
- Communicate your research through print, radio and video media.
- It’s a lot of fun and generates interest in what you're doing.
The 3MT® also supports the University's Doctoral Attribute: "the capacity to disseminate the results of research and scholarship by oral and written communication to a variety of audiences", and meets the following criteria:
- Internal and external promotion of the value of PhD research.
- Promotes research culture to all levels of university.
- Can be mapped onto PhD progress/skills development.
T: +61 3 8344 3087