Teaching Skills for Graduate Researchers (TSGR) is specifically designed for currently enrolled graduate researchers (research higher degree candidates) at the University of Melbourne who are new to teaching. This program consists of three workshops that introduces the fundamentals of effective teaching for learning in higher education settings. Upon successful completion of the workshops, TSGR participants receive a certificate. They may also like to consider taking the Advanced Skills for Sessional Teachers program.
The three workshops are:
- Foundations of Good Teaching in Higher Education
- Strategies for Facilitating Active Learning
- FAQs: Managing Common Challenges in the Classroom.
Each workshop is two hours in duration and available in semesters one and two.
If you are a University of Melbourne staff member looking for formal training in university teaching, please refer to the Melbourne Teaching Certificate or Graduate Certificate in University Teaching instead.
On completing the TSGR participants can expect to:
- Be able to discuss principles of effective university teaching
- Gain practical ideas and strategies to facilitate student learning
- Understand how to present material in a clear, organised and engaging way
- Have had opportunities to discuss challenges experienced in a variety of teaching contexts
- Make valuable contacts with peers from diverse academic backgrounds
- Gain insights into the particular teaching environment of the University of Melbourne.
Program schedule and registrations
TEACHING SKILLS FOR GRADUATE RESEARCHERS (TSGR):
|Foundations of Good Teaching in Higher Education||20/02/2017||10:00am 12:00pm||Room 330, |
Alice building (Map)
|Strategies for Facilitating Active Learning||23/03/2017||10:00am 12:00pm||TBC||Register Online|
|FAQs:Managing Common Challenges in the Classroom.||27/04/2017||10:00am 12:00pm||TBC||Register Online|
Fees and entry requirements
There are no fees for this program, and no direct charges to departments, schools or faculties. The TSGR is provided by the University of Melbourne as a service for graduate researchers.