The Online Induction for Sessional Teachers (OIST) is a self-guided, interactive online course for sessional teachers at the University of Melbourne. It explores educational theory including principles of small group teaching, strategies for student engagement, feedback, encouraging active learning and self-evaluation techniques, and includes a final task of critiquing a filmed tutorial. Upon successful completion of OIST, participants receive a certificate and they may like to consider taking the Advanced Skills for Sessional Teachers program, or the Melbourne Teaching Certificate.
[From semester 2, 2017 participants will also be able to enrol in a discipline-based online program for sessional teachers in Science and Arts.]
Sessional teachers new to the University of Melbourne.
Once enrolled, the course is available anytime and online.
How to register
Registration is a two-step process:
1. Register via the online registration form. You will receive an automatic email from our registration system to let you know your registration is successful.
2. Within a few days you will receive a second email to confirm your enrolment, and provide you with instructions for accessing the OIST course.
Things to note for registration:
- If you are a student and a tutor, please include your staff details in your registration.
- If you are a new staff member and have not yet been allocated a University staff username, please email your name, staff number, faculty of teaching and subjects teaching to firstname.lastname@example.org after you submit your registration to request early access while your staff username is arranged.
- If you are a student and a tutor but have not yet been allocated a staff username, please use your student details in your registration.
What happens after enrolment?
Once you are enrolled into OIST, the course is entirely self-directed. There is no specific start or end date, and it is available to you 24/7 wherever you have internet access. OIST takes around 4 hours to complete.
There are four steps to completing OIST:
- Pre course survey
- Complete the course in your own time
- OIST reflective task
- Post course survey
Upon completion of the surveys and the reflective task, you will be issued a certificate.
Contact for enquiries
For further queries regarding this program, please contact:
Dr Sylvia Schaffarczyk
T: +61 3 8344 8664
For registration and administration, please contact:
Ms Aminata Doumbia
T: +61 3 8344 5355