The Melbourne CSHE hosts orientation events for new academic staff and graduate researchers of the University of Melbourne. See below for upcoming events.
Academic Staff Orientation
Academic staff orientation events are held twice each year, typically in February and July. The interactive program provides valuable information and advice on making a successful start to an academic career in a research-led University. All new academic staff are strongly encouraged to attend an orientation event when they first join the University.
Orientation Day for Graduate Researchers
The purpose of our Orientation Day is to:
- Provide graduate researchers with an official welcome to the University’s research community
- Introduce newly arrived graduate researchers to University wide support services and development programs specifically developed for just for them
- Inform them about relevant guidelines and policies (e.g., supervisor relationship, research ethics, advocacy, central administrative procedures).
In addition to this event, all graduate researchers commencing their Research Higher Degree (Doctorate, Professional Doctorate, Masters by Research, MPhil) at the University can also expect to receive a local induction to graduate research.
The purpose of local induction is to:
- Officially welcome graduate researchers to their specific graduate school/faculty
- Introduce graduate researchers to the local research environment where they will undertake most of their research (workspace, colleagues, facilities)
- Provide them with an introduction to discipline specific policies and procedures and examples of research practice (e.g., where best to publish, which conferences to go to, specific ethics requirements, etc).
Both orientation and induction are part of a process that extends well into the first few months of a research higher degree. So, to ensure that you get the best possible start, we strongly encourage you to get involved from the very beginning.